Death toll from Nice truck attack rises to 85 after man dies of injuries

A man wounded in the Bastille Day truck attack in Nice has died of his injuries, hospital officials said, taking the death toll from the massacre to 85.

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian, rammed a 19-tonne lorry into revellers enjoying a fireworks display on Nice’s seafront before he was shot dead by police.

The attack, claimed by Islamic State, left more 400 people injured.

A spokesperson for Nice’s Pasteur hospital said the man who died on Thursday had been on life support since the day of the attack.

Le Messager, a local newspaper, said he was a 56-year-old from France’s eastern Haute-Savoie region, whose wife and son were also killed in the attack and whose 14-year-old daughter remains in hospital.

Advertisements